March 14, 2009

Tokin a Ride on the Pineapple Express

This could easily become a blog just about the movies I watch; I'll try to limit myself. But I need to Pineapple Express myself (lame, I know).

First off, I've never smoked weed but have been around others who have occasionally or often. It's weird then that stoner comedies are so funny (Ali G Indahouse, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, and Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny are all in my collection among others). I used to watch Half-Baked almost every day for one whole summer. It must be something about stupid humor striking a chord so deep with me; I dunno.

So Pineapple Express finally emerged from my Netflix queue, and I enjoyed it as thoroughly as some seen above. James Franco was the surprising standout, pot dealer with great dialogue I can only assume was mostly improvisation. The same goes for Seth Rogen, but it wasn't a surprise. There were a lot of other characters and scenes over-dramatized, but again I refer you to which genre I'm talking about.

If you've enjoyed such films in the past or other Judd Apatow, "frat pack" movies, this one should be added to the long list. It really is a weird realization seeing how many of these movies I really liked and knowing it's a genre I prefer. I must be high.

-- "Well be careful, man. Be careful. Wear shoes in the house. Safety. Safety first, then teamwork."

4 comments:

Ryan said...

I like quite a few stoner comedies - J&SB Strike Back, Wayne's World, Orange County, anything by The D...

ScoreSetter said...

It may have been on that wiki list, but I don't consider Wayne's World a stoner comedy...unless that Pizza Hut pizza was sprinkled with hash or the Pepsi was laced with marijuana somehow.

Ryan said...

It was the Wiki list, actually

ScoreSetter said...

I meant, "I know it's on that Wiki list, but"

How much weed (or regular cigarettes for that matter) did Wayne & Garth really smoke? :-P