March 04, 2009

Analog Games for Analectuals: Puerto Rico

I love board games. Mainly of Euro-design, but I've been known to sit down with the war games every now and then. The first game up for what I hope is a recurring segment is my favourite game ever: Puerto Rico. Oh, and feel free to use "analectuals;" just remember to cite me as the source with a link.

Puerto Rico is a strategic game for three to five players sans battle situations. At first, it looks like way too much to keep track of and organize, but it seems a lot simpler after a couple of rounds are simulated. And the strategies for winning, though sometimes complex, start to develop in your head after a couple games of playing. The goal may be to get the most points, but with three different outcomes to end the game, the opportunities can be overwhelming.

What I like is the switching of roles each player takes on every turn. The special abilities are granted to only the player who chooses it, but each person gets a chance to utilize that role's representative action (such as selling goods to the trading house). And because there are so many opportunities to advance your part of the island's economy, even those who aren't effectively winning feel a sense of accomplishment in raising a thriving society.

Ask me to play sometime, please. Because every time I get a chance to play, I want to play it even more!

-- "Oh good! My dog found the chainsaw!"

No comments: