March 27, 2009

Fallout Finally Finished!

It took me long enough to complete, yet I still hesitate to use that word. Fallout 3 is a huge game with vast stores of nooks & crannies; there's no way I completely discovered everything. But I did discover close to 140 locations and complete every main quest, so it's done for me until a future patch is released.

Why is this game so great? I've been thinking about it ever since the final credits rolled. The animations aren't amazing, the modeling's pretty rough, and the action can be rather slow. I didn't get to see the Enclave enough, killing the same types of enemies got very repetitive, and didn't even discover what "Well Rested" meant until I was already level 20. And the end was rather disappointing, no matter how much I wished it wouldn't be. So why did I and many others love it so much?

Plain and simple it has to be the interactivity with nearly everything and the ability to choose. I could've stayed out of people's locked houses, but I snuck inside anyway. I could've let that rabble-rousing ghoul sleep soundly, but I ended him after he denied doing things my way. Megaton could've remained a peaceful little stronghold with an undetonated nuclear sleeper hit, but there was no way I could refuse the strange man in the sunglasses.

I was always just hoping for a little more cinematic flare or something to surprise me like realtime geometry changing. I was kept waiting for a wall next to me to get blown out and some people to show some movement while speaking with them. If only they could walk around and move appendages more than facial twitches.

But the ending sequence was unbelievably awesome. Ever since I saw the iron giant below the citadel, I was hoping he'd get involved!

-- "Wow, my own giant robot! I am now the luckiest kid in America!"

No comments: