March 06, 2009

Rorshach, What Do You See?

Have you seen Watchmen yet? I'm sure you must have what with the massive advertising campaign launched on every medium. I bet there's even some blood-stained, smiley-faced buttons waiting at the grocery store counter at this point.

The film was fantastic, for readers of the graphic novel and those with fresh eyes too from what I hear. The casting for each of the parts was particularly well done, with my personal favorites going to Rorshach and The Comedian (though this may be more for the hardass characters they played than just the acting since everyone was well played in their respective roles). The soundtrack was worked in rather well with the world and featured some choice songs (including Sound of Silence and All Along the Watchtower). The new ending wasn't too distracting since it reaches the same general outcome, although it was kind of disjunctive compared to the rest of the film. Can't quite place my finger on it right now, but my friend who hasn't finished the novel even felt it.

Some things of note besides those is the absence of smoking from Laurie. Smoking is used as a drama tool so often, it was an interesting choice to remove it when her character vows to quit often in the original. Also, kudos to Snyder for his sexual act and beauty portrayals again. The art during some of the love scenes conveys the emotions extremely well (whether it be during The Comedians attempted rape or within Archie in the night sky).

Overall, a grandeur IMAX experience save the stereotypical Comic Book Guy nearby snickering at weird times.

-- "I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

1 comment:

Tom Mason said...

Quotes to easy :)

I liked it and it was amazingly right on with the book but wow it felt long to me. We'll see how I feel if I watch it again with Katie as I was very tired seeing it at 10:30 in the morning.