March 03, 2009

It's New to Me

So on the behest of some friends, I have just started watching a now-defunct TV show, Jericho, and reading from George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones. I want to chronicle my first thoughts and final thoughts as I journey into each varied setting.

First: Jericho. I resisted as best I could, but the promise of nuclear fallout in mid-America sounds fun, right? Plus, you and Katie were very persuasive. Though I'm not sure what it is about him, Skeet Ulrich irritates me. He's not up to Nicholas Cage levels, but his face & name are a deterrent before things even get started. Thankfully the story is intriguing enough, and the characters seem engaging and real. No one could truly predict what might happen in such a situation, but so far it all seems plausible.

A Game of Thrones is the first in a fantasy series world-renowned for its excellency. I've known about for years, but had yet to take the plunge into its storied depths. With the push of yet another friend, I decided it's high-time to start the epic saga of A Song of Ice and Fire. While the multiple perspectives/protagonists set me off at first, the style of writing hooked me, especially with the dialogue. "Come back to me after you've fathered a few bastards of your own," had me laugh out loud. I do have to set aside of lot of the information and names just to keep reading though. I fear if I initially try to sort out all the family namesakes and titles, I'd set it down indefinitely.

It feels good to have some new finite tales on my plate again, and it appears to be some good suggestions. So far.

-- "Lollipops. What we call cavities on a stick!"

4 comments:

cbsplaysdirty said...

Disagree about Skeet, but Nic Cage annoys me to no end. Skeet is gorgeous and a great guy. Funny in interviews, down to earth and an awesome dad. He's actually a great actor, but Jericho only allowed him a one-dimensional character for the most part. It's a great show considering the limited budget. The season finale was the best episode IMO, but so many super moments in most of the episodes. I sent nuts to get it renewed and am proud of it. I hope you enjoy it, and get to know Skeet -- he is the Anti-Cage in my mind.

ScoreSetter said...

Maybe it was old stuff from back in the day, but he used to remind me of Christian Slater (not a good thing). But as I've watched some more episodes, he's definitely growing on me. Kinda like when I couldn't stand Val Kilmer at first, and now I really dig him.

Thanks for the comment, cbsplaysdirty. Do I know you? hehe

Tom Mason said...

I like Skeet in Jericho but some times the writing did have me saying, "Get over yourself man". But I agree with cbsplaysdirty, that it was more the writing than his ability.

cbsplaysdirty said...

You probably don't know me -- I'm anti-social. ;)

The character of Jake is very moody and annoying at times -- but Skeet is actually so not like that in real life. He was in another show that got cancelled, called MIRACLES that was waaaay better than Jericho even. It was like the X-Files without the alien sub-plot. I highly recommend it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzXXtmjrQPA