April 20, 2009

The Vertigo Is Unnerving

I finally got Mirror's Edge for PC thanks to a $20 special on Amazon. I pretty much only buy games I know I'm gonna like, and it hasn't disappointed.

Detailed in a previous post, my choice for the PC version hasn't been a complete wash. Unfortunately, I can't get my 360 controller to work on my computer without an additional purchase. I'm "suffering" through with the mouse/keyboard, but it still feels good. And the PhysX feels really good. In reality it's not anything but a few loose cloths, transparent plastic draping, and ever-so glorious, shattering glass. All these details make thrilling chases feel even more spectacular.

If you can't tell, I'm enjoying the game. Though there are some disappointing features: the melee combat feels a bit off and the leeway, given in games such as Assassin's Creed or Prince of Persia, isn't nearly enough for long jumps and grabbing onto pipes. Adversely, there are two aspects I didn't expect to feel right at all: the shooting combat and Esurance cut sequences. Maybe it's the presence of a mouse, but the shooting seems just fine. And as cheesy as the cel-shading may be, the stylization fits with the rest of the game.

Playing without trying to obtain achievements has actually been a relief too. I love getting them on my 360, but the lack thereof frees me to not worry about how I could be playing instead of the way I like. It's like playing a new game with that old, retro love.

-- "That was the best vacation ever! I love our family."

No comments: