April 13, 2009

Plenty of Jedi = Plenty of Bounty Hunters

Bioware recently wrote about the Bounty Hunter class for their upcoming MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic. From their purpose and design to their goals and inspirations, Bioware always has big aspirations for its games.

The developer is known for great games filled with great stories. Their character designs always outdo the rest with epic tales. It's hard to not sing praises about their games. However, I'm trying to be skeptical about their foray into the MMO genre. They sound like they want to change paradigms, something we've heard from many developers with delusions of grandeur. My interest is definitely piqued, especially with this write-up of the Bounty Hunter.

The Star Wars mythos has pivotal hunters throughout the plethora of stories and fan-fic with definitive characteristics. After hearing what The Old Republic plans to lend to the class, you can't help but feel giddy. I get to control a character with the power to take out a Jedi or Sith sans Force?

Le sigh. Like I said, I'm trying to remain skeptical, but Bioware never makes it easy on me (see Baldur's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect).

-- "Last night, Darth Vader came down from the planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain."

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Points for the BTTF quote :)