April 26, 2009

Difference Between Speech and Action

In another introspective, pondering piece, I'd like to skim the surface of badasses who quote the Bible. My recent delving into the Good Book aside, it's interesting to note how much more attention is paid to characters in stories who commit murders and atrocities yet speak Christian scripture like they actually follow its moral compass.

My interest was piqued while recently watching 3:10 to Yuma, with Christian Bale and Russell Crowe. Russell plays the outlaw Ben Wade who recognizes himself as a bad person, yet quotes the Bible on multiple occasions and prays with his just-as-despicable gang after a successful heist. He wasn't seeking out redemption; it was merely a dichotomous character study rife with hypocrisy. And I'm talking about it, so I'm only confirming its inherently interesting qualities.

I make the distinction based in redemption because this reminded me of Sam Jackson's character of Jules in Pulp Fiction. His path evolved with the help of his scripture orations, something wholly different from that of Wade.

My point may be moot because a story is not as interesting without such dissonant characters. It's only disconcerting to think the messages found in their source material is less impacting coming from those who may follow it more faithfully. With that, I'm forgoing my usual movie quote with a passage a friend pointed me toward recently...

-- "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things." Philippians 4:8

2 comments:

Ryan said...

"I just thought it was some cold-blooded shit to say to a motherfucker 'fore I popped a cap in his ass."

ScoreSetter said...

Hahaha, exactly ^_^