April 12, 2009

New York's Godzilla

Can you guess which film my title refers to? From its inception, it is what J.J. Abrams wished to accomplish with Cloverfield. I was never into the big monster movies of the past or the new Godzilla adaptations, but this one had me intrigued the whole time.

Perhaps the first-person storytelling did it or the "mis en scene" atmosphere (eat that films professor that gave me a C), but Cloverfield struck a nerve so much I perused the special features on the DVD. I haven't done that in years with the exception of Serenity.

A lot more thought seemed put into this film than others (see any cheesy monster movie with a one name title). The creature had complete thoughts behind its motives and mobility. It felt very real amongst the survivors even in grandiose situations; the Statue of Liberty head was hilarious but impacts the panicked New Yorkers just like you might think.

I don't need sequels based on what I've seen, probably won't see it in theatres if one's made, but the mystery has left me still wanting more. It'll be in the queue.

-- "I wish I were big."

No comments: