April 14, 2009

Saving Winters' Privates

Thanks to a readily available set of DVDs, I finally got around to watching the Band of Brothers mini-series. I knew it would be good; I loved Saving Pvt. Ryan.

I was afraid it would just feel like more of Ryan. I'm glad to say it was and wasn't. The cinematography, the attention to detail, and subtle music scores all felt very similar and just as great. And other than the training before D-Day, I wasn't finding much else too different that might otherwise blow my mind.

Until Part 9. The approach toward the end of the war in the final two parts was impeccable refinement and taste. It's weird to say taste when referring to the discovery of the Nazi death camps, but it's fitting. Nothing was shied away from, over-pronounced, or trivialized. I'm sure it all helps when your executive producer has tackled such subjects in Academy Award winning films, but it conveyed an extended look into the emotions from the brothers not yet seen.

The other obvious thing setting the brothers apart from Saving's 2.5 hour adventure was the testimonials. It added extended reality more so than just saying, "Based on a true story," and drives home what all those men sacrificed.

-- "Goldie, how many times have I told you guys that I don't want no horsing around on the airplane?"

No comments: