February 05, 2009

Mod Rock...Band

So awhile back, my Rock Band 2 drum kit start having some issues. It didn't prevent me playing because of cross-talk between the yellow & blue pad or the drum pedal not working. The red and green (and eventually yellow too) pads started forming rising bubbles in the middle. Maybe I should've followed the advice linked from the picture, but ended using some other methods.

To fix the bubbles, I eventually found a forum post (sorry, can't find the link to where) about taking the heads apart to reapply adhesive. So I got some adhesive caulk (heard super glue wasn't nearly good enough, though could've also tried epoxy) and pulled the plastic underpart from the rubber and the velcro-like surface between the two. Seeing the results a couple weeks after applying this method to the red pad, I adjusted the application when doing the green pad. Instead of not ripping the velcro-like surface all the way from the rubber, I only made an incision to the center and applied the adhesive mainly there. It didn't turn out nearly as well as I hoped. So with the green pad, I applied a very generous amount to the whole of the rubber underside before reapplying the velcro and then to the plastic head.

Now all that's great, but the bubble really returned to the red pad and just now appearing on the green pad after only a week. And with the yellow pad, I didn't want to rip anymore apart since it didn't ever really work on the red. So now I've resolved to just apply electrical tape to the surface of each head to flatten out bubbles. It works well enough and takes practically no time.

Also while opening up each one, I applied this coin mod (the video is lengthy, much like this post) to put nickels beneath and increase responsiveness. It's worked really well so far on the green & red pads, but the yellow (and presumably blue) didn't work out at all.

This is convoluted enough now.

-- "Lata, sweetheart."

No comments: