February 15, 2009

Is Dollhouse Structurally Sound?

The TV show Dollhouse premiered this past week with many a wary eye paying attention. After seeing a trailer some time ago, I wasn't that enthused. It seemed to be just another throwaway show I'd never make time to watch. But when a new series comes out from the creator of Firefly, my favorite series of all time, you need to pay attention.

Joss Whedon creates 'verses all his own (see Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly). The greatness in his works is the scope and detail that goes into his characters. So I'm giving Dollhouse the benefit of a doubt.

The first episode was intriguing, but not totally amazing. It's misogynistic to an extent, but leans on satire. The main character is Echo, played by Eliza Dushku. She's the biggest hurdle in letting me like the show more. She's not completely talentless, but there's some distraction keeping me from becoming engulfed in the ever-changing character.

But as I mentioned, it's intriguing. I'll watch it a few more times hoping for the wow-factor of Whedon to come forth.

-- "I'm sexy...I'm a scholar...people like me."

No comments: