October 18, 2008

Classic Video Game Themes

I just got done watching the Top 10 Video Game Themes (they keep it classic) of all time on gametrailers.com. This list is very good, rather comprehensive, and filled with great choices. There are a few that I loved, and a couple I thought had no place in the top 10 (or top 50, who knows).

That pirate lizard boss theme from Donkey Kong Country for N64? Maybe it's because I never played the game, but that music was rather underwhelming...even after the "darker" themes start to creep in.

And Duke Nukem 3D? It was a great game back in the day, but really? The songs seemed so forgettable. The only things I remember from that game are the cheesy one-liners and warthog police officers. The music they played for the segment was pretty good though. ::shrug::

As for ones that gave me goosebumps? You just see the games on that list you consider your favorite games of all time, and you see why the music is touted as the best ever. Nostalgia coupled with video game pinnacles such as Secret of Mana, Super Metroid, and the Legend of Zelda keep those games forever in the forefront of our minds.

The Mega Man 2 song they chose was awesome too, but I never got far enough to ever hear it before :-/

-- "Hello? Hello, Jesus? ... He hung up."

1 comment:

Tom Mason said...

Yeah I have to agree with your comments on the DKC theme. That game had a ton of GREAT music but I don't think that belonged in the top.

I totally agree with the #1 but I would have thought Final Fantasy would have been a bit higher.

-Tom