May 03, 2009

Snippets of New Government Issue Joes

A short new series has come out via Adult Swim that rocks a bit of nostalgia and a whole heap of unexpected death. G.I. Joe: Resolute introduces a new animation style with a story penned by noted comic writer Warren Ellis.

Resolute composes 11 episodes in about an hour for one complete story of the Joes versus Cobras. I liked G.I. Joe growing up, but I was never a huge fan; the nostalgia can only keep me interested for so long. This series relies little on rekindling past wonder and more on great action with focused zeal. The essence of the old cartoon is there, but the execution is so much better. It reminded me of the Clone Wars cartoon series by Genndy Tartakovsky.

The biggest highlight lies in the Joes' most notable character and resident mute: Snake Eyes. Just like you might hope, the story travels to the past in his training origins with Storm Shadow. Though not the penultimate outcome of the series, the confrontation between the ninjas steals the thunder from Cobra Cmdr. and Duke.

-- "I have traveled many miles and now have come disguised as a pimp to help you."

No comments: