May 14, 2009

Wolverine or How a Game Surpasses the Movie

The new Origins: Wolverine movie and video game just came out. I've heard varying opinions about the film from "extremely terrible" to "pretty cool if I didn't think too hard". Okay, that last one was me, but it was a fun flick. Though from what I've heard (and the little I played), the game is much better.

Like many kids my age, Wolverine has always been one of the coolest super heroes.
He's the most brutal of the X-Men, yet he's still one of the good guys. And though I really didn't read a lot of comics, I understand his origins to be more like The Joker's: a mysterious quandary. So coupling all that with weird takes on Sabertooth (his also-regenerating brother) and other super-heroes, further fouls up this shredded look into James' Logan's past. But the action and effects were outstanding, save for the adamantium claws which somehow looked worse than the movie before.

Wolverine's universe is perfect for a video game: he decimates hordes of enemies, can actually take a few bullets without flinching, and conveniently regenerates his life force. The demo spans only the first level, but I hear the rest of the game is just as brutal with frantic, never-ending action. The word is favorable, so I'll likely rent it.

I think Marvel should stick with their up-and-coming Avengers movies instead of whoring out the X-Men. Or maybe just hire the talent producing Ironman, the newer Hulk, or what I'm sure will be an amazing Captain America film to do the other X-Men origin stories.

-- "Give me a scotch. I'm starving."

No comments: