September 29, 2008

WAR is On

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, very affectionately known as WAR, is like every great MMO thus far: fun when you start, continually surprising, and full of kinks & quirks.

This past weekend I meant to write a post. And I kept meaning to Saturday and then Sunday. But every time I sat down to write, I plopped down and played. As of right now, Kiryn the Dark Elf Sorcerer of Ungrim is rank 15.

Like WoW before it, WAR takes the MMO formula and makes it more airtight than before. I heard a good quote from BigDownload.com and their podcast saying this game redefines PvP just like WoW did for PvE; it's very accessible. The seamless blend of all the different ways to "contribute to the war effort" is a refreshing twist too. Someone I grouped with put it simply, "I'm confused," when I asked what they were up to; there are many ways to spend your time.

The now well-defined quest system was continued from WoW. Add to this the happenstance Public Quests you can wander into, open-world Realm vs. Realm combat in progressively larger sections of zones, RvR scenarios, and the overall war progression that all of the above lend themselves to and the game can seem overwhelming.

I feel like I need an agenda for each night I play, but I decide to wing it just soaking in as much as I can.

-- "Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh...now die!"

No comments: