January 27, 2009

My Lube for the Boob Tube

A new season has started up for television, and way too much time will be spent watching great shows. A couple of J.J. Abrams ventures, the Nerd Herd, Hiro and the misfits, and Bruce Campbell return to suck the life right out of me for another semester of TV geekdom.

Fringe - The newest to join my lineup, Fringe was coined from "fringe sciences" meaning stuff that doesn't really exist but made believable enough to people so they question our own existence. It's kinda like the Harry Potter muggle world meets the wizarding world. But before I take this brilliant comparison any further, I'll make the particular distinction that Fringe involves someone dying and things being dissected...every episode.

Lost - The veteran joining in last week with its 5th season is Lost. I thought I might be able to stay away from this new season as the last season finale didn't leave me shreds wanting to know what happens next. (Un)Fortunately, the new episodes are good and filled with intention and purpose again. I feel the show is answering more questions without raising others, and it feels great to know an end is approaching even if time/space is unhinged.

Chuck - The unwitting spy that goes by the name of Charles Carmichael is returning with more geekpop-culture and gratuitous "SpikeTV" hotness and violence. The attractive women aside, this show would still be good because the characters are all written very well. The interaction between friends seems genuine and the spy stuff doesn't seem too over-the-top to take you out of the story. Plus Buster from Arrested Development, Tony Hale, and Jayne from Firefly, Adam Baldwin are starring alongside.

Heroes - Ah, the show I wish I could stop watching. Heroes definitely stumbled in its last season with some awkward writing and acting, but thankfully some people were killed off and good still prevailed. I write this more in anticipation of the next season which looks reminiscent of some X-Men stories where mutants are hunted down. I still like the show because it's the first to handle super heroes in a "real-life" manner and multiple, congruent character stories rather well. It may be losing its initial spark, but hopefully a proven, adaptable story will kickstart back to life.

Burn Notice - If you haven't heard about this show, it's because it's on USA. Suffice it to say it's just starting its 3rd season, and it's still phenomenal. The acting and casting have been spot on. And the action involved in the spy plots are full of twists, explosions, quick joint locks, gunplay, etc. Also hinted above, the geek cult-hero Bruce Campbell co-stars in one of his best roles ever. Everything is top-notch, and the main character is good-hearted to boot.

Hopefully nothing else really hooks me because there is enough to keep me clamoring for more right now. And don't even say Battlestar Galactica, I'll get to it someday.

-- "Boy, it sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don't you think?"

No comments: