June 03, 2009

Yet Another Bioware Win

This week is the week of E3, so there's plenty of video game stories in which I have interest. But I can't help myself pointing to something I've lauded over before, even though it will spell my ultimate downfall into the MMO verse once more. Yes, I'm talking about The Old Republic...again.

With this first cinematic trailer, Bioware has given me better Star Wars in twenty mintues, er...less than four minutes (I've watched it five times already) than I've seen in the past 15 years. I stay on the fence for MMOs mainly because I know how much time I can lose invest in them. But with this latest unveiling of Bioware's plans, it all but solidifies my foray in their galaxy far, far away 40,000 years before Skywalker.

It'll still be interesting to see the balance of classes and how much I'll want to play something other than a Sith or Jedi master, but I'm can't deny the track record here. Plus the couple of bounty hunters in the movie look better than some of those jedi. And where I don't think the combat can pull off that dramatic effect, I'm hoping they get somewhere close to incorporating all the powers seamlessly into the saber-play.

-- "I know what's been troubling you. Listen to me. Don't continue to be a pawn of the Jedi Council."

1 comment:

Tom Mason said...

Oh wow, great pic you found for the article. I think his light saber is a little smaller than in the game however.